TOP 5 REASONS TO ENCAPSULATE YOUR PLACENTA
“My belief in encapsulating placenta runs deep. I did this with all three of my children and saw the affects first hand. My husband called them my crazy pills because they seemed to help me so much. I nursed my twins for 5 months and it helped greatly with my milk production and with my daughter I was battling a lot of anxiety and they took the edge off for months! Even once I started my period again they were true magic for me with PMS symptoms. I know many of the research is still anecdotal but I truly believe in this process and the benefits” – Chelsea (Owner of Om Mamas)
“My husband called them my crazy pills because they seemed to help me so much with my mood swings.”
These proposed benefits include:
1 – Increase in Milk Production – Placenta has been proven to improve milk production for a lactating woman. “All patients were given desiccated placenta prepared as previously described (C.A. II, 2492) in doses of 10 grains in a capsule 3 times a day. Only those mothers were chosen for the study whose parturition was normal and only the weights of those infants were recorded whose soul source of nourishment was mothers milk. The growth of 177 infants was studied. The rate of growth is increased by the ingestion of placenta by the mother… the maternal ingestion of dried placenta tissue so stimulates the tissues of the infants feeding on the milk produced during this time, that unit weight is able to add on greater increments of matter, from day to day, than can unit weight of infants feeding on milk from mothers not ingesting this substance.” Hammett, Frederick. S. 1918. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 36. American Society of Biological Chemists, Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research, original press: Harvard University.
2 – Links to Easing Postpartum Depression:
One of the biggest benefits I found personally and many women I have worked with have found to encapsulating their placenta is improving depression and anxiety in the fourth trimester. Since the placenta is high in oxytocin and placental opioid-enhancing factor (POEF), two elements that can lower depression levels and improve overall health, energy and well-being, the link is believed to ease those baby blues in the first few months after delivery.
3 – This isn’t a New Idea! For thousands of years, the Chinese have upheld the value of the placenta for the postpartum recovery process. After birth, the majority of new mothers experience blood loss, fatigue, and a crazy influx of pregnancy hormones. 80% of women experience some level of postpartum blues or depression. Full of life energy, the placenta aids in postpartum wellness by replenishing your system with natural iron & protein and helps reintroduce these essential hormones back into your system. Source
4 – Reduces Postpartum Bleeding (Source)
5 – Placenta is Jam Packed with beneficial hormones, chemicals, iron, and proteins. (source) These healing substances include:
- Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone: Contributes to mammary gland development in preparation for lactation; stabilizes postpartum mood; regulates post-birth uterine cramping; decreases depression; normalizes and stimulates libido.
- Prolactin: Promotes lactation; increases milk supply; enhances the mothering instinct.
- Oxytocin: Decreases pain and increases bonding in mother and infant; counteracts the production of stress hormones such as Cortisol; greatly reduces postpartum bleeding; enhances the breastfeeding let-down reflex.
- Placental Opioid-Enhancing Factor (POEF): Stimulates the production of your body’s natural opioids, including endorphins; reduces pain; increases well-being.
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: Regulates the thyroid gland; boosts energy and supports recovery from stressful events.
- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH): Low levels of CRH are implicated in postpartum depression. Regulation of CRH helps prevent depression.
- Cortisone: Reduces inflammation and swelling; promotes healing.
- Interferon: Triggers the protective defenses of the immune system to fight infection.
- Prostaglandins: Regulates contractions in the uterus after birth; helps uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size. Anti-inflammatory effects.
- Iron: Replenishes maternal iron stores to combat anemia, a common postpartum condition. Increases energy; decreases fatigue and depression.
- Hemoglobin: Oxygen-carrying molecule which provides a boost in energy.
- Urokinase Inhibiting Factor and Factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing.
SIGN ON TO ENCAPSULATE WITH OM MAMAS DOULAS NOW
Disclaimer: Om Mamas Encapsulation Services are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition.