Dal With Greens
Dal with greens is an easy meal full of protein, folate, and fiber not to mention super fast cooking and delicious. This is a soup that could be made in a half hour or so. Ginger is great for digestion and the fenugreek is good for lactation. This warming dish is perfect for those postpartum days or days that getting a meal on the table feels impossible. I love this soup with some fluffy basmati rice and a crisp cucumber, carrot and celery salad.
- 1¼ cup red lentils
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 – 5 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch greens, washed and trimmed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1 – 2 teaspoons dried ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Step 1 Heat 3- or 4-quart Dutch oven on medium heat. When hot, add oil. After the oil heats, add mustard seed and cumin seed when they pop add onion, ginger, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté until translucent .When the onion is translucent, add the fenugreek, coriander, and red pepper flakes. Stir into the onion mixture and fry for 30 seconds.
- Step 2 Add the red lentils and 3 to 4 cups water (depending on how soupy you want your dal to be
- Step 3 you can add less up front, and more later if you wish). Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer. You’ll simmer for about 30 minutes, but take a look at the pot after about 15 to see if you need to adjust the water level. Add the greens and cook 5 more minutes.